What is Sewage ?

Waste water generated from household bathrooms, toilets, kitchens, laundries and drains forms sewage. Major constituent of sewage is water (99.6%) and remaining part (0.4%) mostly comprises of biodegradable pollutants and small solid particles.

It may occasionally contain industrial waste from small industrial units, but the majority of sewage refers to household waste only. Where it will travel from building to sewer, which will transport it to a location where it will be treated by municipal corporation facilities. Hotels and hospitals are advised to have a small Sewerage Treatment Facility to treat wastewater generated by them to some extent, with the remainder discharged into sewer channels for further treatment.

Types of Sewage

Depending upon Volume, Rate of Flow, Physical Condition, Chemical and Toxic Constituents and Type of Bacteria present sewage can be greywater or blackwater. Greywater comes from sinks, bathtubs, showers, dishwashers, kitchen sink and clothes washers, while black water comes from flush toilets combined with human waste. It is necessary to properly collect, treat and then dispose to avoid water, land and air pollution.

sewage, what is sewage,
Aerial view of a Treatment Facility

Because of it’s biodegradable nature it generates electricity using cogeneration methods.

Sewage and Wastewater Pollution

  • Untreated sewage water can contaminate the environment and cause diseases such as diarrhoea.
  • Untreated will result in bad odour affecting livelihood.
  • If discharged into water bodies, it will contaminate the fresh water reservoirs.
  • It may contains harmful bacteria, virus and chemical substances causing serious health hazard.

Read about Effluent:

Similar Posts

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *